Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day?

I have always known that Father's Day was not a "real" holiday.  But this weekend -- At Church -- I discovered that not even the "fake" Father's Day applies to me.

The Children's Story at our church this weekend was given by good friend of my wife, who is a single mother and big feminist.  The story was about Her muscle car -- a barely street legal Ford Mustang with hood clips and over sized rear tires.

As she begun the story, she asked what our father's do for us.  To which my youngest son, who loves Friday because it is "cleaning day" proudly responded with; "Clean the house."  To which this dear lady's reply was; "Yes, Daddy HELPS [emphasis added] clean inside and outside the house."

For those of you that don't know what a SAHD (stay-at-home-dad) does, just think of ALL the stuff mom's do and change the gender.  I am responsible for cleaning the WHOLE house EVERY week, doing the shopping, laundry, most of the cooking -- prep & clean up, plus the normal "dad" chores of lawn maintenance, car care and minor home repair (at least we're renting--but that's a whole other story).  In addition, last week was post school week for my teacher wife in which she was required to be at work still even though school was out and ALL 3 boys were home FULL TIME!  (Thank goodness for an old Atari)

Did I mention that the story teller lives across the street from us and is my wife's education superintendent (boss)?  She is a wonderful lady, who has known our family well for years.  However, has continually exhibited an inability to understand the importance we place on family ahead of career.

I guess this is what I get for preaching a Mother's Day sermon on "The Toughest Job in the World"!

No comments: