Tuesday, September 15, 2009

We Finally Agree!

After 14 plus years of marriage, my wife and I finally agree!

I have long held that leftovers are ... well, of the Devil! I hate leftovers (with the sole exception of Aunt Nancy's Coleslaw!). I do not believe that God intend for there to be leftovers. Eat fresh or don't eat (OK, that may be a little extreme, but I feel strongly about the issue!).

The trouble for me is that my wife was raised by women that believe you should cook for millions--regardless if there are only two of you living in the house--just in case a spaceship of strangers should brake down in your front yard and need something to eat!

Well, I finally heard those golden words tonight; "NO leftovers. What we don't eat is getting thrown out!" and it didn't come out of my mouth ... this time!

Unfortunately, I am going to PAY for that simple (and undoubtedly short lived) moment of euphoric pleasure. See, a little over a week ago our ice cream began getting soft and the ice itself began to melt away behind the closed door of the freezer. The whole thing (including it appears our refrigerator) has become little more than a picnic cooler that only keeps things cool if you load and reload it with pre-frozen (elsewhere) ice packs.

I have done everything I am capable of doing to rectify the situation...I told my wife to call someone to figure out what was wrong and fix it! However, with the great frugality with which our family is so accustomed to, my wife suggested that I try to vacuum off the coils first, to see if that would help. Didn't, not one bit. Even seemed to get worse. She unpacked part of the freezer to uncover the "vent" to see if it might have frozen over as did her mother and this was the problem. It wasn't. The "Tim Taylor" in me made me think I must not have had a BIG enough vacuum for the coils. So I tried again. Got a "Coil Brush," a vacuum extension attachment and went at it again. Sure enough, a change. It DEFINITELY got worse! Then my wife gave the ultimate shot to the male ego..."why don't you just unplug it and see if it resets."

Don't you think I would have thought of that!

Now's the point in the story where you would expect that I humbly admit (and praise God) that all it needed was to unplugged. We are not there yet. I just unplugged it. So, don't hold your breath! I truly, from the bottom of my precious little heart hope that is how this story ends, but I really, REALLY don't think that is what is going to happen!

I write at this point because there is still a slight "silver...even golden lining." After 14 plus years of marriage, my wife FINALLY agrees with me on something...if only for today!

No comments: