Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pushy Pitton

38 years ago I was an expert at interpreting the incoherent babylings of one particular toddler. This skill served me well. As the story goes, I was able to "interpret" for the young thing in a way that often resulted in the young one receiving something they "wanted" and coincidently I did too. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to re-aquire the ability to understand what toddler grunts, churps and screams actually mean. Apparently, I am not the only one that wishes I was "bi-lingual"!

Much like his eldest aunty (when she was his age), my 21-month-old son does not yet use words--at least ones that are noticeable as English. However, I am hoping that unlike with his aunty, I am able to understand what he is trying to say before his 3rd birthday.

(Total aside--He just brought me a tube of toothpaste. I think he wanted it opened so he could eat it!)

In an effort to help us understand his "needs," Ben has resorted to "physical" communication. In it's most passive form he simulates a "jump" with his arms up in the air to indicate that he needs picked up to get something out of his reach. Other than that he employs a much more "hands-on" approach, pushing, pulling, even turning you to do, get or be what he wants (skills I believe learned from time spent with his younger cousin).

*Hippy Wife Warning* (If you are not accustom to my wife's hippy practices, you might want to skip this paragraph as to not taint any high regard you might have for her--or me!) On a recent road trip (see previous blog entry) we went into a fast food restuarant to ... be pro-active about the need for future stops. While waiting in line to order, Ben decided he was ready to "eat" right then and there (if you know my wife, you know this has never been a problem for her). My dear wife tried to put him off, at least until we got back into the van, but he wanted what he wanted when he wanted it! So, standing in front of her he pushed until she was close to a chair. Then he went around to her side, grabbed her pant leg and turned her to line up with the seat. Finally, he went back in front of her, pushed her down into the chair, climbed onto her lap and assumed the proper position to get what he wanted! I am not sure if I should be proud or disturbed! Maybe a little of both.

No comments: