Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Christmas-ween


Can you guess which one of my little superheros is going to be the same thing for the next 4 years and which one has been the same thing for the last 4 years?

Our "Christmas-ween" weekend started as un-characteristically "white."  We woke up on Sabbath to about a 1/2 of snow, which we were sure would melt before church started.  Instead, about 9:15 AM it started to snow more.  This time, quarter-size flakes.  This was inconsequential to me, as I had the opportunity to preach and had a great sermon ready -- Thanks to Jerry Mahn, via Brendon's recommendation. 


The snow was like a big slurpee.  I nearly fell 3 times before getting to the bottom of the steps by the street.  It was warm enough to not really stick to the street.  Which is good, because we would have been in big trouble if it froze, as wet as it was.  By the end of church it stopped snowing and the sun came out in a bright blue sky (thanks for that line Ed!).  It was beautiful ... from my warm couch, where I could only see the clear sky and none of the slush covered yard.

Sunday was the elementary school Fall Festival where I spent nearly 4 hours manning the Corn Hole (and an original ghetto creation of skee ball -- with 2 plastic buckets and 2 different size gutter pipes duct taped to a metal folding chair) booth, where approximately 6 people played during that time.  On a positive note, I became quite skilled at bouncing tennis ball into the bucket that was slightly larger than the ball that was taped to the top of the folding chair.  I believe that the highlight of both older boys was the opportunity to serve as deputies, collecting "fugitives" for the Jail.

My oldest spent all day asking if he could be Anakin for Halloween (no, he has not seen any Star Wars but is somehow completely versed in all characters from the series).  My wife finally solved the situation late in the day when she simply asked; "Do you have an Anakin costume?"  Resulting in a fourth straight year of a Tampa Bay Buccaneer.  Ben went as a Redskin, that was much more popular in Virginia then it ever was is Florida, reaping many supportive comments and much candy.  Seth was a original (as far as I know, un-named) super-hero. 

Having less trick-or-treaters than expected last year, I tried to limit my candy purchase.  I did well, however, we only had 2 kids come to the door ... glad I splurged and bought some Reeses!!!

No comments: