Friday, January 11, 2008

The Heights I will Go to!


The Southern Union kindly scheduled Wednesday afternoon as "Conference/Family Time" beginning at lunch. To which the Florida Conf. decided to schedule a 1:10 minute (that of course ran long) for 2:00 PM...THANKS!

If that was not frustrating enough, my loving wife planned a wonderful afternoon for us and another family (Cook's) of visiting the beautiful Ponce Inlet Lighthouse.

Have I ever mentioned that I am "acrophobic" (scared of heights)?

Really, what is the point of looking at a lighthouse from the bottom...when you can climb 203 steep and winding steps ALL the way to the top!

Let me just say, it is one thing to privately suffer from an embarrassing and crippling fear of heights. It is quite a different thing to allow dear friends to witness it. But totally demoralizing when your 5-year-old burst to the top before you can even set a foot on the first step and then force yourself to the top only to have your 4-year-old "bail" you out by insisting he must be CARRIED down all 203 steps!

No lie, right now--3 days later--my thighs are still burning to the extent that I literally have difficulty walking down a step and standing up or sitting down.

Whatever, can't do anything about it now. At least I am taking personal consolation in my mini victory, despite the pain and the fact that those of you who know me best have got to be amazed that I was able to do it!

PS--I even stopped on the way up to read the sign about how one dear light-keeper had a heart ache while climbing the steps and fell to his death!

No comments: