Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pizza-Man


Last night I was hungry for pizza, so I asked the boys if they would like to make pizza. We found a pretty good (and relatively simple) recipe a couple years ago for making your own. Unfortunately, enthusiastic Seth grated some knuckle with the mozzarella and left for the comfort of mommy before it got "fun."

It turned out great! Even if it did take longer then I would have liked. I have included the recipe below, be warned: this is from a British cookbook (The New Simply Delicious by Rose Elliot) with non-American measurements...good luck!

Easy Wholewheat Pizza -- 4 servings

225 g/8 oz (I used 1/2 cup each) Self-raising wholewheat flour, or half wholewheat and half white

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
50 g/2 oz (I used 1/2 a stick) butter
40 g/ 1/2 oz (I used like a 1/4 block) Chedder cheese, grated
150 ml/5 fl oz (I used about 1/2 cup) water

Set oven @ 425F

Put flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs, then stir in the grated cheese and water to make a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute, then cover and leave for 10 minutes...Roll the dough out into a 12 inch circle, a place on a pizza dish or baking sheet (I covered the pizza pan with some corn meal to prevent sticking). Spoon on sauce and top (we chose to season homemade canned tomatoes Charity had done and Toby decided to top that before covering everything with Seth's mozzarella). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffy and golden brown.


2 comments:

uncleDUH said...

I have decided after a third time using this recipe that it is probably more like 1.5 cups of flour (instead of 1 cup).

Also, we think the pizza might benefit from having the crust cooked for 5-10 minutes before being topped and finishing the cooking time.

Unknown said...

301-776-ledo NEXT TIME